Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Labor Day Weekend

Labor day weekend is one of my favorite weekends of the year. Every year my family and I go to our lake house in Northern Michigan. The trip is composed of many great outdoor activities. This year was unique compared to the years before. The trip was unique due to several new people and animals that made the trip with us. This year my sister brought her fiancé Matt. My mom and dad brought their new puppy, and my cousins brought family friends whom I had not met before.

I left ONU right after my last class ended. I was eager to arrive at the lake house. The drive up to Michigan always takes forever, as opposed to the ride back. When we finally arrived around 8 p.m. dinner was waiting for us outside on the picnic table. We had the whole spread from grilled chicken, burgers, and hot dogs to corn, baked potatoes, and pasta salad. One of my favorite parts of Labor Day weekend vacation is all of the food I get to eat. When you live on a college budget your meals are not quite as extravagant as the ones I received in Michigan.

After we unpacked and talked the night away down on the dock we went to bed. Saturday came around quick, and we were ready for it. There was not a cloud in the sky. I woke up went for my morning run, ate breakfast, and gassed up the boats. We spent the entire day out on the water. I could not have been happier.  We taught the new puppy George how to swim, we wake boarded, we tubed, and most importantly we were all together. The day ended again with another feast, but this time we went out to dinner.

Sunday arrived and we were eager to get the day going. My dad and I make a valiant effort every year to go do some exploring. One year we went all of the way up to the Upper Peninsula and had to put the truck in four-wheel drive to get through a muddy path in the woods. The path looked like something you would see on the extreme motor sports channel. So we went and explored, we found a few beautiful places with exceptional views.

I am very grateful for the time I have been able to spend with my family over Labor Day weekend. I probably wont see them again until Thanksgiving. I like this trip every year because I get to be reminded of how blessed I am to be able to enjoy the things I like with the people I love. There is nothing in the world that I enjoy more than being with my family up at the lake.

Arriving back to Ada is always a good way to end the weekend. Everyone is getting back to campus, and starting to get in their routines again. I am glad ONU allows us to have Labor Day off every year.



No comments:

Post a Comment