Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Homecoming Weekend

Homecoming weekend is not taken lightly on any college campus. I don’t care if you are at the smallest private liberal arts school in the middle of nowhere, or with the top Ivy Leaguers. Homecoming weekend is the weekend where colleges across the nation have the chance to celebrate their schools success of all forms with alumni and future attendees.  There is nothing better than cheering on your schools team with your friends and alumni.

Homecoming may also serve as a great networking opportunity. With LinkedIn we can find our schools alumni and what they do, but that doesn’t mean we will ever talk with them. Homecoming on any part of campus gives students the opportunity to be extraverted and go meet alumni. I have never met alumni in my fields of study that I felt did not enjoy talking with me as much as I enjoyed talking with them.

Then there is the nightlife. After your football team gets a big win everyone goes and rejuvenates by taking naps, getting a slice down at the local pizzeria, or taking a walk through campus to reminisce on their time spent there. Once night comes around people find their second wind. The streets are filled with students and alumni walking around heading to the local hot spots while conversing with one another.

Homecoming is one of, if not the best weekend on a college campus. I look forward to several years down the road when I too have the chance to revisit my Alma Madder. I look forward to hearing what myths or legends are still talked about, what has changed in the town, what my favorite bar is like, and how my profession is being taught now that I am a few years out. Homecoming is a special weekend, to all college campuses out there if you have not had your homecoming yet; enjoy it and make it a memorable one. You will always appreciate your days on your college campus well spent with your closest friends. And you never know, that one night out might even land you a job with alumni.


1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you had a memorable weekend Sam. I have to agree everyone comes down to celebrate and it would be a great time to visit as an Alumni. I never really thought of the weekend as a networking opportunity, but I guess you could take advantage of having so many professionals that love ONU and its grads all in one place.

    ReplyDelete